You are kindly invited to save the date for our spring Forum in Zagreb on 26-28 May. The theme we will discuss is: ‘Cities in transition: green, digital and social changes – How do we shape inclusive labour markets?'
Our Forum theme
With the announcement of the European Green Deal, the EU aims to become carbon-neutral by 2050. Moving to a green economy at the same time as digitalisation is transforming industry and demography is changing in our cities, will have a deep impact on our labour markets. All cities and all citizens will be affected by these transitions. To make sure no one is left behind, cities need to shape inclusive labour markets that sustain transitions that are socially fair and just.
How is your city affected by the transition to a low-carbon, green and digital economy? What can your city do to ensure all people can access the benefits of the green economy and the green jobs, and no one is left behind? Join us in Zagreb to discuss these key questions with other 150 city representatives.
Why attend this Forum?
The two days of panel debates, focus groups, TED talks, workshops, site visits and a political side event will give a unique opportunity to participating cities to:
- learn from the experiences of cities that have already undergone major transitions (former industrial cities with carbon-intensive industry, origin cities of brain drain, ‘grey’ cities with high share of ageing population) and had to change the profile of their city to attract new industry while, at the same time, prioritised shaping an inclusive labour market
- share examples of what works at local level to ensure labour markets are inclusive of all people
- co-create solutions on how to tackle challenges related to green, digital and demographic changes
- help cities currently experiencing transitions to define action plans for inclusive labour markets. In particular, we will have the chance to feed into Zagreb’s new social plan for 2021-2027
- reflect on how cities can work with the EU towards a just transition to a green and inclusive economy
NEW way of working: ALL EUROCITIES Forums are welcome
We are piloting a new way of working in EUROCITIES by breaking the silos between Forums and creating the space for cross-fertilisation and mutual learning. That is why SAF is opening the doors to other Forums - Environment, Economic Development, Knowledge Society – to join the reflection on cities in transition in order to tackle policy challenges through an integrated approach, in line with the EUROCITIES strategic framework for 2020-2029. In practice, SAF colleagues are welcome to invite their colleagues from other relevant departments in the city administration (energy transition, digital, ageing) to join this Forum meeting.
Day 1 – Tuesday, 26 May
- Optional city tours
- Interactive session for newcomers
- nformal dinner
Day 2 – Wednesday, 27 May
- Business meeting
- Official welcome and keynote interventions
- High-level panel debate
- Focus groups
- Private political discussion for elected city politicians
- Site visits to projects and services in Zagreb
- Official dinner
Day 3 – Thursday, 28 May
- Co-creation workshops on real case scenarios of city challenges
- Presentation of results from workshops in plenary
- Final remarks and closing of the meeting
Important information on logistics
After the first informal day, the event will officially start on 27 May at 9 AM and will conclude on 28 May by 14.00. The draft agenda will be communicated very soon.
You are all encouraged to book your hotel rooms as soon as possible. Given that Zagreb is the host city of a high number of events during the Croatian Presidency of the Council of the EU, hotel capacity is limited and prices are rising fast. You can find suggestions for hotels in the practical information prepared by the host city.
Stay tuned – we will open registrations soon in March!