2018 will be the European Year of Cultural Heritage (EYCH); activities and initiatives all around Europe will get people interested and involved in cultural heritage.
The aims of the year are:
- to encourage people to explore Europe's rich and diverse cultural heritage
- to celebrate, understand and protect its unique value
- to reflect on the place that cultural heritage occupies in all our lives
- to reinforce a sense of belonging to a common European family
As a member of the EYCH Stakeholders Committee EUROCITIES attended a coordination meeting last week. Here are the main points:
- The Year is really about awareness raising. A complete communication campaign is being developed.
- The European Heritage Days will be a key partner for the Year and synergies between the two initiatives are being created; its European dimension should be increased.
- Results from a Eurobarometer Survey on cultural heritage will be presented at the European Culture Forum in Milan in December.
- A dedicated EYCH Creative Europe call is open until November 22, allocating €5 million for cooperation projects responding to the objectives of the European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018 (€200,000 per project, co-funding rate: 60%). There are two main themes: reinforcing a sense of belonging to a common European space; and promoting cultural heritage as a source of inspiration for contemporary artistic creation.
- 10 European initiatives will build the Years' legacy around four objectives: engagement, sustainability, protection and innovation. More info will be available in December.
- Key events at European level will include the launch of the Year at the European Culture Forum in Milan and opening and closing ceremonies by the Bulgarian and Austrian Presidencies of the EU.
- Labelling your local events: if your project or events share the vision of the Year you will be able to apply for the EYCH Label. More information soon available!
Do you have any question? Contact the dedicated helpdesk firstname.lastname@example.org or EAC-EYCH2018@ec.europa.eu or attend the EUROCITIES culture forum in Ghent! Catherine Magnant, the person in charge of the year at the EC, will be with us on Friday 27 October in the afternoon.